SEO Link Building Case Study for Crestleaf Genealogy
With over 90 Million family records in the United States alone, Crestleaf.com is a leading provider of free genealogy information and free online collaboration tool for families to document their family history — create family trees, digitally preserve family photos, documents and oral traditions. However, Crestleaf is in the uber-competitive genealogy niche with industry juggernauts like Ancestry and MyHeritage.com.
What We Did
Crestleaf approached Two Wheels Marketing for help with increasing external links to their site and assist in raising awareness of their brand to help drive new and returning users to their website and increase domain authority in the competitive genealogy niche.
Two Wheels Marketing established a content strategy to help attract brand awareness within the genealogy blog community in addition to providing evergreen content for genealogy beginners.
Two Wheels Marketing also developed a blog content and blog outreach strategy to attract attention from other genealogy, baby boomer and related websites to assist with link building and exposing the brand to their core demographic. Creating great content is just half the battle; the other half is exposing it to others. This involves a robust content outreach and social media engagement initiative, which included:
- Manually targeting and following specific demographics on Twitter
- Actively engaging with the online genealogy community and influencers in the space
- Creating and implementing an editorial mix of relevant content
- Utilizing paid social ads on Facebook to help expand brand reach to its core audience.
In just the first 6 months:
- Total Google inbound links increased from 100 to almost 10,000
- Bing inbound links increased from 153 to over 12,000
- Total unique linking root domains via MOZ increased from 14 to 78
- Domain authority almost doubled from 18 to 33
- Twitter followers went from 5 to 1,300+
- Traffic to the site from social media increased 4,000+%
- Traffic from referring sites increased 520%
- Crestleaf was established as an upcoming leader in the genealogy space and was included in the yearly top 100 genealogy sites list distributed by an industry magazine.